Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sail making Supplies

There's one thing you'll learn VERY quickly about boat building: it goes VERY slowly.

Not a ton of progress happening over here, but things are moving forward. I'm still working on the sail. Right now I'm working on reinforcing the edges. I actually made a video about the sail and I'm going to try to start posting on YouTube as I progress. The video explains a lot of why I'm doing what I'm doing and a lot about why I'm choosing these particular materials for my build.

Here's a picture of when I was sewing the yellow rope into the folded piece of tarp.
I didn't go into this on the video, but the presser foot I'm using is a specialized 'embelishing' foot that is made for going over cord. It was $5 or $10 I think, because things run a little expensive for my machine. But I think this foot is totally worth the expense and I've gotten a lot of use out of it with all sorts of decorative and utilitarian elements.

That said, you can TOTALLY sew the rope in with a regular foot. The fact that the rope is hollow makes it easier.

The other thing that happened that I'm excited about is I got rope.
Just a little bit of rope. Not too much. You can never have too much rope.

A video showing my childish exuberance for something as mundane as rope. Feel free to mock me. 


So I know I threw two videos on here this time instead of my normal pages of words, but I'm sure I'll find the balance soon between spoken and written word.

I'm gonna go sew something.

No comments:

Post a Comment