Monday, June 10, 2013

Due Diligence, whatever that means

So the other day, quite randomly, I found this:
5 acres only 15 minutes away from town. The land is completely undeveloped which is exciting on the one hand, but ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING at the same time.

Tomorrow we are talking to the realtor and making an offer on it, PROVIDED we have a good way to escape if something gets to scary in escrow!!

There is enough flat-ish land to put a house and a parking area. The rest is pretty steep, which is why its cheap! Ha! ...Poetry.

And because I'm obsessive, I've found a house plan I like.
I can get lost for days at that website. But I really like the lay out of this house. Big common room. Bedrooms and master suite on opposite ends. GIANT garage. I like garages... Oh! And see it has a spiffy spiral staircase? Anything with a spiral staircase is automatically cool. 

Who knows if we'll actually be able to afford to build this particular house, but if we do get to build, it will be along similar lines.

So, again, because I obsess on projects and I have no restraint... I did this:

Its an unfinished 3D mock up of the building, on the actual property, complete with topography, pulled from Google Maps. (the 3D model is a mirror image of the above plans, if you're wondering) No, I did NOT use crazy expensive programs to do this. You can get this 3D modeling program for free from these guys. It's called SketchUp and I love it!! Whenever I have a really complicated design that I need to communicate, SketchUp always saves the day! Ok. Enough with the product placement. ;)

Back to the property. I figure I'll just post as we go along this process. There's so much to learn!! Our first step was to befriend a General Contractor. We found two at church and got to enjoy watching them argue about how to put in a septic tank properly. The strangest things can be entertaining...

We went and walked the property with one of them, that's when I took the video. He was very encouraging and was interested in the dirt himself if we don't get it! That's a good sign, right? But they kept saying that we needed to do our 'due diligence' during escrow so we don't get screwed. Great. What does that mean!?

According to Google - 
due dil·i·gence
Noun
Reasonable steps taken by a person in order to satisfy a legal requirement, esp. in buying or selling something.

Ooook.... Not at all helpful. So we asked them for a list. Its long. If you're curious, message me and I'll email it to you. It should apply to any property. It was just way too long, technical and boring to post!

But I'm grateful for the list, because the last thing we want is to get stuck with an unusable piece of land because we didn't do our homework!! See kids? Stay in school! It teaches important things, like following through and research! And grammar, which somehow escaped me... Spelling too. Oh well. 

Now for the spiritual part. There is that verse in Proverbs 31 about "she inspects a field and buys it," and that's really what I'm doing here. The hubby is at his job, so I get to do the leg work. It is quite empowering because so often I look to him to just make the big decisions as the Biblically mandated leader of the family. Yet here I am, driving this thing! Don't get me wrong, he's on board for this. I wouldn't be moving forward if he wasn't ok with it. But it's my baby. 

Hopefully, this baby doesn't destroy us financially... Risks are fun!! (we need a sarcasm emoticon) 

The plan is to go sllllooooooooowwwllly. Carefully. And hopefully wisely. Once we're in escrow I shall do my due diligence and may God's will be done. Amen. 

And last, for your viewing enjoyment: 
A staged picture of models and actors pretending to be architects and business people. Do you really think they're in a construction zone requiring hard hats? Why don't they all have hard hats? Maybe the two girls have metal plates in their heads so they don't need hard hats. It could happen. Twice. I wonder what shoes they're wearing... Betcha $5 none of 'em are wearing steel-toed boots. 

Have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment