Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Lock Picking with a soda can - Fail

I've always wanted to try to open a padlock with a soda can. These guys did, whilst inebriated...
Granted, the guy's hair is ridiculous, but the idea is interesting. I've heard about it from many sources, many times, so I've always wanted to give it a go.

In case you're totally confused, my job involves security. Knowing how locks work and how to get around them is part of my job. Legally! If you're curious, this is where I work.

The other day we were given some chain that had a few padlocks on them that they had lost the keys too. Perfect opportunity to show off my lock picking skills!!! Yeah, my hubby totally showed me up by picking his lock in a few minutes (he got the easy one, in my defense) and I couldn't get mine.

The simple solution would be to grab the bolt cutters and just snip off the chain, but where's the fun in that?

So this is what happened.
Here's my empty can, the evil lock, my pile of lock picks who ALL failed me and the lock that my boy opened way to fast! 

I basically just followed the instructions on the video. Cut open the can with regular scissors, make the shim, etc. We put it in, like they said, and tried rotating it. 




Nothing. So I tried again. 

Nope.

FOUR TRIES LATER.... I asked my man to try. Cuz he's that guy who can do anything. And he's so humble about it too. I felt totally justified when he couldn't get it either. He even sliced his thumb open trying to get out a piece of can that ripped off inside the lock. 

So obviously, we were doing something wrong. The solution?

We did what real thieves do. No fancy skills with lock picks or spiffy home made by-pass techniques. We busted out the bolt cutters and snipped open the chain. Done.

This got the lock off the chain, but this felt like such a defeat!! Stubbornness reared up its ugly head of defiance and I sat down with the rebellious lock and my favorite pick. A few minutes of patient and focused attention and the thing succumbed to my will. With that oh so satisfying click, the lock plug twisted and the shackle opened up. VICTORY!!

My conclusions are thus.
  1. The Spam School guy has ridiculous hair.
  2. Either we were doing something wrong (requires more research/attempts) or its a myth. 
  3. I like my favorite hook pick. 

If you're curious about lock-picking as a hobby, there are lots of tutorial videos on YouTube to get you started. I also recommend finding a lock picking group or TOOL group near you. They'll have great advice and are generally fascinating people to be around. Or you can just shoot me a comment and I'll answer as best as I can.

Necessary Disclaimer: I am in no way encouraging any illegal activities!! What you do with knowledge you may gain here is completely and totally your responsibility. Lock picking is an interesting hobby and should never, NEVER be practiced on a lock you don't have permission to pick, or on a lock that is important to you. (like your front door) Incorrect picking can permanently damage a lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment