Friday, June 7, 2013

Learning Linux and Hacking!

I know this isn't very Biblical sounding.... but I'm learning how to hack. I actually do have a reason for this that's not totally shady!! I work for a company that does Penetration Testing, where they go and test the security of a computer or business by staging an attack. So yeah, we get to pretend to be bad guys and do the fun bad guy stuff, but not get in trouble. AND get paid. Well... that's the goal anyway.

Right now I'm attempting to make myself more valuable to the company and that means learning. Learning and making money ties in with the whole P31 thing, and I think its fun. Thus this post.

If you don't like tech stuff, stop reading right now and wait for another crafty blog!! Don't worry, I totally get it! I won't be offended. Much.

So. Linux.


Here's the secret to Linux............. Google it. 

That's all. That's the massive secret to using Linux. If you willing to learn and do your homework, you can have the most stable and virus free operating system on the planet for free. Yes, FREE. 

Some basics for the baby-techies out there: Linux is an operating system, just like Windows 7/8 or Mac OS (insert some fierce big cat here). The big difference is that it takes more work to set up and you don't have to pay for it. The reason you don't have to pay for it is that nerds made it so they could tweak it. Cuz that's what nerds do. They wanted to be able to play with an OS (operating system) and to be able to let their friends play with it too.

"But nothing's free," you may say. "Where's the catch?"

There is one, but it probably won't effect you much. Because Linux is so stable (it won't crash), businesses like it. And Linux people know that. So they do charge for business who want to buy multiple versions of their spiffy business server versions. Yeah, didn't think that would be a problem.

Oh, did I mention there are multiple versions of Linux? There are. Don't worry about it. 
Enough twaddle. So you want to start? OK!
  1. Get a computer you don't care about. No, really. Don't install Linux on your primary computer if you have no idea how to use it. You're just going to get pissed off. The learning curve is a bit steep.
  2. Get another computer (this can be your main computer) and have Google standing by. 
  3. Look up http://www.ubuntu.com/ This is a pretty user friendly version of Linux. Wander around a bit. Read. Read some more. 
  4. This is the easiest way to install it. It's a windows installer, but if you want to be extra nerdy, you can install it from a USB stick. Look around for instructions on how to install it from USB. Or just click here.
  5. If you have questions, GOOGLE IT! Seriously. Read the error message and just type that in the search bar. If you ask me, that's all I'd be doing. I'm not a Linux guru, but I know how to use Google and it's almost the same thing. Ok, not really. 
  6. Have fun! There's lots of fun things Linux can do that the regular OSs can't. Look around on YouTube for tutorials on how to use it. Install stuff. Check out spiffy toys like CompizFusion to make it look cool and light your desktop on fire. There's even tutorials on how to make Linux work/look like Windows or Mac
  7. Don't be afraid to break it. It was free, right? Just install it again and start over!! I've done that multiple times, believe me. You learn more when you fail than when you succeed.

Ok, so I totally wasn't expecting this to be a Linux install tutorial. But whatever. I have had Linux running on my laptop for one or two years now. It works fine. No problems. Installing stuff is annoying sometimes, but that's why Al Gore invented the interwebs.

I just finished installing a different version of Linux called Kali Linux. It is a version designed specifically for hacking and I have no idea what that means yet. But its up and running and I'm about to find out. I had trouble installing it, so I wouldn't start with Kali. Ubuntu is great and if I can't handle Kali, I'm going back to Ubuntu.

Check out this video on Linux (and his other videos too!) if you want to know more about Linux in general. He has a whole bunch of computer videos and quite a few on Linux. Good stuff. Beware - tis long.


If you have a question, or an idea for a blog post, or something you have no idea how to make but want to see if I can do it... Comment below! Have a wonderful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment